Saturday, February 25, 2012

Utterly insane or just hormone problem?

Ok I don't think I'm insane....but here's my predicament:



I've been taking Tylenol PM and melatonin for several years now to help me sleep (minor lifelong insomnia). I stopped taking them recently just to see how I'd do without them.



Right away, I started having hypomanic symptoms for the first time in my life (18). My primary symptoms are:

-rapid heart rate

-Only 3 to 5 hours of sleep a night for nearly 2 weeks now.

-Almost no appetite; eating only one meal a day and not feeling hungry

-intense energy and hyperactivity compared to my normal self

-racing thoughts, often talking to myself for hours

-Very little pain sensitivity-feels like runners high, except x10

-chronically elevated mood, cycling between kinda happy to incredible euphoria, several times a day often lasting several hours each, and the euphoria kicking in after a meal or near/at bedtime

-irritability and anxiousness--had a panic attack when the euphoria became too intense, heightened startle reflex





I saw the doctor about 2 weeks before this started happening for different reasons. She said my white blood cell count was slightly low, but simply dismissed it with an "I don't know what that means".



A few days ago I suddenly realized I hadn't eaten for 30 hours and had some fast food. The milkshake about killed me I was so jittery throughout the rest of the day. The weird part is that it got more intense with time, with the peak happening more than 12 hours after consumption.



I've had my thyroid checked through blood tests before during periods of major depression, and they said it was fine.



So, does this seem to be a hormonal problem, or is it equally/more likely to be related to a mood disorder?



I'm not diagnosed with anything atm.Utterly insane or just hormone problem?
Most of these issues aren't obviously related, but the bullet points you listed are consistent with a diagnosis of a manic or hypomanic episode. See a psychiatric nurse practitioner or a psychiatrist. It doesn't mean you *have* to take medication, but it might be a good idea to get a professional opinion. Hypomania and mania can cause significant judgment issues and can cause otherwise "rational" people to do really stupid things with far-reaching consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment