Saturday, March 10, 2012

What techniques are available to prepare a cell membrane for viewing under a microscope?

I want to know how you can prepare cell membranes to view under a microscope. I am assuming use of an electron microscope here, due to the small size of the cell membrane. What techniques are available? I've found freeze fracturing and freeze etching - is there anything else?What techniques are available to prepare a cell membrane for viewing under a microscope?
Well you can see cell membranes with a light microscope. Not in great detail but still see it. You do this by using a dye that is absorbed by the cell membrane and then makes a large contrast between that and the background. I know of only one dye for light microscopes called Methyl Blue. It is not for cell membranes though it is for the nucleus of the cells but the principle is exactly the same, just look for light microscope slide preparation dyes.



For an electron microscope, you have to do things like preserving and embedding in wax, slicing a very thin cross section from it. Using dyes and markers like in the light microscopes (these are normally heavy metal compounds). Not a lot I know but I'm sure you can find some more on the internet somewhere I would look at electron microscope specimen preparation for this one. Hope this helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment